[NBLUG/talk] 3d acceleration in FC2

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Wed Oct 6 10:18:08 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 01:40:08PM -0700, Augie Schwer wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:28:19 -0700, Dave Sisley <dsisley at arczip.com> wrote:
> > I'm running Fedora Core 2 with a 2.6.7 kernel.  The box has the intel
> > 845g video card.
> > Part of my problem is that FC2 runs Xorg, rather than XFree86, so I'm
> > having a bit of trouble sifting through the stuff I've found on
> > google.
>
> Dave,
>
> Did you try the Intel web site yet?:
> http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/
>
> Augie.

Thanks for the response, Augie.  I really appreciate your
unwillingness to let a post wither and die without at least some
reply.

I had checked out the intel site, and on your suggestion, I tried
poking around again.  This time, I even went so far as to down load a
tarball they had for this chipset.  I believe this release was as
recent as June, 2004.  Only problem is that it won't build. (waaah!)

I also did some more googling, to see if there was something new I
hadn't seen, but I'm not finding anything useful.  But I did see a
suggestion in some post to check out the Xorg log file
(/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Looking in there, I see what may be my problem:

(II) I810(0): 16872 kBytes additional video memory is required to
        enable tiling mode for DRI.
(II) I810(0): 2536 kBytes additional video memory is required to enable DRI.
(II) I810(0): Disabling DRI.

I'm guessing that I don't have enough video memory enabled.  AFAIK,
one ought to be able to increase video memory in the bios settings,
but I'm pretty sure I tried that without any luck.  I will check again
after sending this email (rebooting and poking around in the bios
settings), but I'm pretty sure that there isn't a way to set that on
my machine.  Please (please!) correct me if I am wrong.

With all that said, however, this really is not a high priority for
me; it's a backburner.  I'm just surprised that this isn't a more
easily solved problem.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley