[NBLUG/talk] I'm getting ssh scanned! Should I be worried?

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Oct 7 16:16:59 PDT 2004

> ftp is much worse, the password is not encrypted, so it can be sniffed,
> then your hacked.  anonymous ftp is the only safe ftp (but I don't have
> that either).  Use scp or sftp.

Understood, it's what I do, however users, especially those with macs(just
an observation, no slight intended) or uploading with web page editors,
can't seem to figure it out, so ftp is what there is.

The time I was rooted was with wuftpd and the anonymous account. I
switched to proftpd and now the bsd daemon and just keep it updated and no
anonymous access. No webdav either.

Cheerful regards,

Bob