[NBLUG/talk] New linux user

orsini orsini at sonic.net
Wed Oct 20 14:44:29 PDT 2004

So, I got my into linux last night :) Here's how it happened...

her: Where's the laptop?

me: It's in the case under the desk, oh and it's a little different now...

her: What do you mean?

me: Uh, well... I fragged the Windows partition so you'll have to use Linux.

her: WHAT!!!

  [a wee little fight ensued... she was tired and saw this as me being a pain in the butt.]

me: look, the reason I don't want windows on the laptop is because I like throwing new
on it and it makes if more complex to have to preserve the Windows partition everytime
I start over. [mostly true ;)]

her: so, how to I do it?

[brief amount of typing to adduser and then tweak Gnome a little to make it look familiar]

her: so, where's the browser... oh, Okay. Cool.

So, that's it. Now I just introduce her to new apps as she needs them and we never look
back. :)

rob

This story has been brought to you by Debian Linux and all the friendly, helpful folks
at NBLug. Thanks.