[NBLUG/talk] High-quality CD ripping

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 3 11:47:59 PDT 2004

I'm trying to make back-up copies of a collection of audio CD's.  I know
how to rip the CD's using cdparanoia and burn them using cdrecord, but I
seem to have some problems with noise in the files produced by
cdparanoia.  I suspect that it is because cdparanoia is using the analog
cable that connects my CD-ROM drive to my sound card.

If, on the other hand, I could rip the CD's through the IDE controller,
I suspect that I could eliminate those noise problems entirely.  I could
also rip three CD's at a time, since I have three CD-ROM drives
(actually, one DVD-ROM, one CD-RW, and one CD-ROM).

So how do I rip a CD via the IDE controller rather than the CD audio
cable?

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

If the aborigine drafted an IQ test, all of Western civilization would
presumably flunk it.
		-- Stanley Garn