[NBLUG/talk] High-quality CD ripping

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 3 13:13:54 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 12:55, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> It was my understanding that cdparanoia did nothing *but* DAE (digital
> audio extraction).
>
> cdparanoia was written to make sure it pulls every last bit of
> correctable data off the disc.  What kind of noise are you experiencing?
> Hum?  Skips?  Clicks?  You can set many of the options in cdparanoia to
> raise it's level of paranoia when ripping from the disc.

When it rips, most of the time it gives me the ":-|" emoticon (normal
operation, considerable jitter) or the occasional ":-/" emoticon (read
drift).  And I found that, once it finished ripping, none of the
resulting files had ANY sound!  The length of each file seems correct,
though.

I tried ripping from my DVD-ROM drive and my CD-RW drive simultaneously
(there is an audio cable from the DVD-ROM drive to my sound card, but
not from my CD-RW drive), but the computer apparently received no data
when it tried to read the disc in the CD-RW drive (I think each file it
produced was essentially zero length, aside from WAV headers).

I made an educated guess that the issue was the CD audio cable, but it
now sounds like the issue may be something else entirely.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

How do I get HOME?