[NBLUG/talk] Knoppix presentation slides

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Sep 15 13:03:41 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:10:07AM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> Hi NBLUG,
>
> Hope everyone enjoyed the presentation last night.

Talk about serendipitous!  This morning I got a frantic call from
someone who was afraid that they had gotten a nasty virus as many of the
file on their c:\ drive appeared to have been renamed.  With Kyle's help
in irc.freenode.n:#nblug, I found the launcher for Knoppix to download
f-prot over the web and scan this persons files.

It turned out not to be a virus problem, but one of Kyle's other hacks
saved the day: gpart.  Using gpart I was able to quickly recreate the
partition table and have the client up and running in the time it took
to reboot.

Though there was no virus, the process of acquiring and running f-prot
was ultra-slick.  A couple of notes for the archive:

The launcher to install f-prot is in:
K->KNOPPIX->Utilities->Install live software
Select F-prot and pointy-clicky from there.

After installing, the f-prot utility is in:
K->KNOPPIX->Extra Software->f-prot.

Run it and update the virus definitions, then scan whatever partitions
you wish.

After scanning, you'll get a summary and there will be a file in $HOME
containing a log of what it found.

I liked Knoppix before, but now I am going to be a superfly Knoppix
pimp!

Thanks, Kyle -- the beers are on me next time!

-troy