[NBLUG/talk] USB WiFi modems

R C Smith rcsmithkd6fvi at comcast.net
Sat Sep 18 19:58:17 PDT 2004

I have a QC 435 laptop that has a built-in USB 802.11b wireless modem. It doesn't work using Knoppix. I have not installed a module before and in this case have no idea what to install.

I would like to use Knoppix because I don't want to dual boot or get another HD until I know that the WiFi works.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Smith

Knoppix System Info USB says;

            ieee 802.11b Prism 3 USB

            AirVast Taiwan

            Speed 12Mb/sec (full)

USB 1.10

Windows says:

            WirelessLAN Prism3 IEEE902.11b

            WM168USB

            Driver version 2.0.9.0

            WLAN

Prism Settings;

            802.11b 11Mbps WLAN USB Module

MSINFO32:

            WirelessLAN Prism ieee 802.11b

            USB\VID_124A&PID_168B\5&20DF0DDD&0&2

System Drivers:

            avlp_usb WLAN Prism Drivers. I looked at the driver with mc in hex edit but found nothing that looked like a device number.

The Device:

             F08123E34402412

            FCC US; ECSM503BAM3O3W

Elite Group Computer Systems Co LTD

            Mod # AM303W ver1.2

            Chip (? only one  with number) PCT303A   0324CACAD8