[NBLUG/talk] Bad KMail behavior

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Sun Sep 19 09:26:44 PDT 2004

The missing emails are still there.
What you were seeing were 'ghosts in the machine'.

When KMail quit unexpectedly, the index files were not updated. So any email
that was received and moved, received and read, or in any other way marked or
changed -- even if you just went from your inbox to another folder and back
-- did not get updated in the index.

The "No Subject ()" emails were false entries in the index that didn't point
to an actual entry. Everything you received should still be there.

I have experienced this in spite of keeping my machine running for weeks or
months at a time because I keep KMail running on a background desktop in
Enlightenment, and a few times something else has caused X to hang and I've
had to kill the X Server manually (ctrl-alt-bkspc).