[NBLUG/talk] Linux and LDAP

Michael Lane admin at iprogeny.com
Wed Sep 29 11:42:32 PDT 2004

SAMBA (and Winbind) is your answer!

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html

Excerpt:

Since late 2001, Samba has gained the ability to interact with Microsoft
Windows 2000 using its "Native Mode" protocols, rather than the NT4 RPC
services. Using LDAP and Kerberos, a Domain Member running Winbind can
enumerate users and groups in exactly the same way as a Windows 200x client
would, and in so doing provide a much more efficient and effective Winbind
implementation.

Mike Lane

P.S. Currently running Samba 3.0.7 on a RedHatES server and setup took 20
minutes.