[NBLUG/talk] dual boot almost

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 10 22:23:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 11:20 -0700, Lynn wrote:
> wiped my hard drive and loaded windows xp  (OK)
> mucked about with the partitions and loaded up red hat 7.2
> that went ok except when it comes up with the localhost login: the
> screen flashes once andthen
> init: switching to runlevel: 3
> init: sending processes the term signall
> starting automount: no mountpoints defined  (OK)
> starting lpd: no printers defined (OK)
> starting wine    failed
>
> then just a blinking underscore that I can type root and passwd and use
> the system from the command line.  This might be ok for some but not
> me.  I set up for graphical login.  I have a geforce 4000mx video card
> and there was not a selection during the install for that I picked the
> geforce that was the closest and that didn't change anything. now the
> configuration is with what red hat probed something like ati mach 64 but
> the geforce is still in the machine. maybe I should change the jumper on
> the mother board and have the onboard video activated.  Any suggestions
> on this would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance....Lynn

I would suggest that you get a more recent version of Red Hat Linux
(e.g. Fedora Core 3) and try again.  By Linux standards, Red Hat 7.2 is
ancient technology, and so it might not be able to handle newer video
cards.

I can bring Fedora Core 3 CD-ROM's to the meeting this Tuesday.  Contact
me off-list if you're interested.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Man's reach must exceed his grasp, for why else the heavens?