[NBLUG/talk] Linux Apache PHP novice

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Wed Aug 3 10:25:47 PDT 2005

Johnson,

 Probably /etc/http/conf/httpd.conf is being used, but to be sure you
could do an "ps aux" to see the httpd process and figure out the path
from the output (look for something with httpd or apache in the name).
Alternatively, you could look in the /etc/init.d/httpd file to see where
it is picking up the apache binary from.

Look under /var/www/html for the pages, but to be sure look for
"DocumentRoot" in your httpd.conf file.
This file is pretty well commented.  Most all basic config. items for
apache are in this file...start with it.

I haven't used LAMP before, so I can't help much with that.  However,
PHP, MySQL, and Apache are old friends of mine :-)    .

Hope that helped,
   ---Dean.

jmlleung at yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need some help here. I installed Red Hat Linux 9, Apache httpd 2.0.49,
>MySQL 4.0.18, PHP 4.3.4 on my Dell machine a year ago and put it aside. I
>originally planned to practice writing some simple web pages using LAMP.
>
>Now I am trying to pick it up again. But I don't even remember how to launch
>a html page. My httpd is up and running.
>
>I have 2 httpd.conf files. One is under /usr/local/apache2/conf/, and the
>other under /etc/httpd/conf/. Which one is being used?
>
>Where should I store the .html files? Is it defined by DocumentRoot in
>httpd.conf?
>
>Any pointer and/or advice will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Johnson

Dean A. Roman
President
Roman Computer Systems
Office: 707-237-6798
Fax   : 707-237-2649
E-mail: droman at romansys.com
Web   : http://www.romansys.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email is intended only for the person(s) to which it is addressed and contains confidential and privileged information. If you are not the addressee(s), or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee(s), you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact us immediately at the telephone number shown above and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system.
-Thank you.