[NBLUG/talk] Changing hardware clock time zone on Debian/Sarge

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 22:11:16 PDT 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 10:18 pm, E Frank Ball wrote:
> } I suspect that the simplest solution would be to have the hardware clock
> set } to GMT, and I know how to re-set it in the BIOS, but I can't figure
> out how } to tell Debian/Sarge that I've changed the hardware clock to GMT.
>  How do I } do that?
>
> Edit /etc/default/rcS
> And set UTC=yes:

Sounds like just the critical step I was missing.

As for the issue of using NTP, I have my computers set up via cron to run the
following command at midnight every night:

rdate time.nist.gov

Aside from a computer with a really slow clock (probably a dying battery,
though the CMOS seems OK), this seems to work, although in practice I
staggered the cron jobs so I don't get more than one computer doing an NTP
request at a time.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Philadelphia is not dull -- it just seems so because it is next to
exciting Camden, New Jersey.