[NBLUG/talk] using NTP to synchronize the clock

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 13:13:02 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 10:49 pm, E Frank Ball wrote:
> NTP compares several times sources, picks the best one, and
> compensates for network delay.  Overkill for most
> applications maybe, but it's pretty easy to setup and run.

That makes sense, and I can see from your description why it would be
preferable to rdate.

> time.nist.gov is a very high level source to be using for the average
> computer.  If everybody did that time.nist.gov would be swamped.
[snip]

I see what you mean.  I'll look into using a more local NTP server.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

When in doubt, do it.  It's much easier to apologize than to get permission.
		-- Grace Murray Hopper