[NBLUG/talk] Redhat 9 -> Fedora Core 4 upgrade: xfree86 vs. xorg

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 17 18:38:23 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 05:50 pm, Dave Sisley wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:07:11PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > If the machine is in the "can't display anything, monitor is going wonky"
> > state, does Ctrl+Alt+F1 switch to a regular text console login screen?
>
> No - and I think that's weird, since it goes through the boot process
> and is able to display all the stuff fedora shows ([OK], etc.).

Could it be that X is starting up and crashing in an infinite loop?  Since X
causes the display to focus on its own virtual terminal when it starts, this
would prevent you from switching to another virtual terminal as per
Ctrl-Alt-F1.

I seem to remember that the boot scripts for GDM (?) under Debian/Sarge will
stop trying to restart X if it fails more than a certain number of times in a
row, at which point it will display a text-only error screen.  Perhaps no
such safeguard exists in your configuration?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

May contain nuts.