[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X-10 home automation

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 08:24:23 PDT 2005

I'd like to use my Linux box to control a few appliances in my house, such as
a lamp that I use as an alarm clock (my college schedule is too complex for
an ordinary appliance timer to handle).  Of course, being a home automation
technology that runs on Linux, I'm sure that once I've set it up, I'll find
more wild and crazy applications for it.

However, the biggest obstacle I've encountered thus far is that I can't find
any place that sells all of the necessary hardware.  Radio Shack carries the
control modules but not the parts that allow the computer to control them,
and nowhere else that I've looked seems to carry any of them.

Thus, I have two questions for anyone who uses X-10 (and I know *someone* here
uses it):

1. Where do you buy X-10 hardware?  Is there any place that sells it locally?
(I'd like to have it installed and configured by Wednesday, if possible.)

2. Any caveats I should know about regarding X-10 controllers?  I'm already
aware that it's a good idea to send each command twice in case it got
corrupted the first time, and some devices have a tendency to create
electrical "noise" that interferes with the signals.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

hangover, n.: