[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X-10 home automation

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 22:31:59 PDT 2005

I've looked at Smarthome.com and X10.com; I haven't checked HSC, but I'm
pretty sure I haven't seen this kind of stuff there).  I checked Radio Shack
and Sears, as they were rumored to have X-10 hardware (there was a discussion
of X-10 at a meeting of the North Coast Macintosh Users Group several months
ago), and I found pretty much everything EXCEPT computer interfaces at Radio
Shack, and I found absolutely nothing at Sears, online or in the store.  For
obvious reasons, I have not purchased any X-10 hardware yet.

I do see one possible problem with using any of these computer interfaces in
my existing setup: as far as I can tell, all of them use a legacy serial
port, and the computer I'd like to use to control everything only has one
serial port, and it's currently connected to a Palm HotSync cradle.  This
means that I'd need to do one of three things:

1. Switch to a USB Palm HotSync cradle (I have one in my garage, but I never
got it to work on Linux).
2. Find a USB computer interface (and a Linux program that can interact with
it).
3. Get a USB-to-Serial adapter (probably the easiest solution).

And so the plot thickens...

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

A woman, especially if she have the misfortune of knowing anything,
should conceal it as well as she can.
		-- Jane Austen