[NBLUG/talk] Another OT MS-Win Q...

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Thu Dec 8 13:22:05 PST 2005

As previously noted, a pretty geeky bunch here...

I've done the *NIX-admin previously (rather a lot
of it, in fact, mostly commercial versions not Linux
(at least, not Linux for pay)) but not so much MS-Admin.

Nevertheless, I find myself in a new job with lotsa MS
boxen to admin.  Mostly Win2Kpro & a bit of W2Kserver.
Desktops and servers both.

I'm looking for some good resources (along the lines of
this very mailing-list, but MS-centric) where I can
study archives & even ask questions, to bring myself as
much up-to-speed as quickly as I can.

I've already got Stanek's "Admin. Pocket Consultant" &
plan to get another book or three, and there's some here
in-office too.  But IME nothing beats the breadth and
the sheer squirrely on-the-ground real-solutions nature
of good online resources.

For one current example -- seems kinda silly -- here's
a fairly minor issue that's stumped me and my Google-
stabs for a couple of days now:

Paint Shop Pro 7, when launched, goes full-CPU-utilization
but never pops on-screen (nor to the app-bar at the bottom)
Task Manager sees it, and can kill it.  The 99%-CPU seems
like an artifact of a largely-unloaded system, i.e. other
tasks that take CPU do run:  PSP seems to be swiping from
the "System Idle" only.  Admin user runs it just fine (the
same on-disk binary); the app does NOT display the full-
CPU behavior.  User with a problem *HAS* admin privilege
(but AFAIK shouldn't need it).  Resembles a problem I found
that was solved with SP2 (iirc), but this guy has SP3 and
so *should* be well-past the issue.

Not looking for a solution here (though I wouldn't ignore
one if it were offered, as I'm neither stupid nor over-proud
(I hope...)), just hoping for a pointer to likely places to
go looking for OS/App/etc support in a general MS-W2K
environment (yes, I have consulted the MS knowlegebase;
that's where I found the similar-looking bug reported as
solved in W2Ksp2).

Many thanks for any advice or pointers; even just a pointer
to a place where I can get good pointers...  ;-)

- Steve S.