No subject

Sun Feb 20 16:52:19 PST 2005

> I had
> cases with some Cat-3 cables from apple that use 4 conductors with the
> RJ45 jacks refused to work on PCs because Apple crimped the contact points
> to far into the conductors/wires for the ethernet card on a PC to make
> contionuous contact.
> If you have Cat-5 cables, this seems less likely, but is worth examining.
>
> > Redhat 6.2 worked successfully on the Pentium but I am not sure I
> > tried it on my new computer (amd -k-6) I probably did not, but I am
> > willing to do so.  After all, 6.2 served me long and well on my home
> > network with this cable, router, and an older ISA nic ethernet card.
>
> It is very likely using the old NIC will allow you to have linux talk to
> your network. However, it does not prove ifthe fault lays with your
> "new" card physically or with the linuk kernel's interface to the card.

I put in the old NIC but was unable to determine the setting of its IRQ
or io/port, without being able to use the NIC installation and testing
software. The floppy that I had with the old card (and Accton card)
has been damaged.

> Where you go from here depends on your direction and purpose. If you just
> want the darn thing to work, then try the older card. If you want to
> continue to try this new card and see if you can make things work, then I
> can keep working with you a bit more. :-)

> > > 3) Network service/process or sentry that is not acting like it should
> > > (not so likely)
> >
> > It is funny, to me, on successful pings to 192.168.1.1 some times I'll get
> > 356 out of 427 packets (16% loss) on others:
> >
> > 190 packets transmitted, 1 packet received.    I would think
> > that the problem would remain constand, i.e., continuous 15% losses across the
> > board.
> >
> > Here is another puzzler....Just now I pinged 192.168.1.4 ....21 packets sent and
> > received   100% success, 0% packet loss.
> >
> > Do intermittent problems raise their ugly heads in the ethernet arena?
>
> One thing to point out, you said you had 100% success in pinging your own
> IP address in your last statement, not that of the router.
>
> I would expect that ou will have the same lack of success when trying to
> ping other machine on your network. When you try sequences of pings to
> your macs do you get similar inconsistent ping responses. You could test
> this though too. try pinging your macs when they are on and have access
> the network over TCP/IP at least once.

I have 2 terminal windows on the linux, one pinging my Mac LC and the other pinging the iMac.

both are running continuously

> > I am capable of screwing the most simple and straightforward installation
> > processes. (Incidentally I **don't** have a surge suppressor on my "new"
> > PC, so utility line abberations during an installation might just interfere
> > with the successful transfer of software from the installation CD to the hard disk.
>
> Though power issues can plague a system with odd problems, I have not yet
> seen problems like this as a result of power. (Thanks for suggesting this
> as a possiblle issue because volunteering information that you think might
> be relavent can be very helpful. :-)

Thanks for that...

> > > Does the ethernet card come with any diagnostic software to
> > > test media and the card?
> >
> > Yes, but it requires that I boot the PC from a reliable Windows9x/DOS floppy.
> > The one I have now is corrupted, partly, and I can't trust it.    I can try to get another,
> > maybe from a neighbor, or my son  in Cotati.
> >
> > > If you have this diagnostic software and can run
> > > it, examine the lights on the back of the card.
> >
> > I did run the diagnostic software once, yesterday, successfully. I did
> > not notice the LED's on the back of the NIC.
>
> We might revisit these test more later. Since you have run them recently
> and the software found no problems, a new "retest" is unlikely to show
> better results.

I would like to know if my new NIC floppy will test the old NIC.

John