No subject

Sun Feb 20 16:52:19 PST 2005

to the
ethernet card.

> You may also look to Kingston for software to configure the card. I cannot
> comment on the Kingston cards, but there were some problems with some
> ethernet cards when they were set to use PnP (Plug and Play) mode to
> configure IO/IRQ resources used. Explicit resource allocation seemed to
> work more nicely in linux for some of these cards. ( A few evil, vile and
> contemptable generic NE2000 cards come to my mind - yak!)

I am not committed to the Kingston card just because it was free (left at my
house
by DSL installers).  I am perfectly willing to purchase a known successful
ethernet card.
I have heard that one must check a graphic card carefully since Linux must have
a driver
for a variety of manufacturers, and in the graphics arena, new drivers are being
written constantly.

> Also, as a related item to my previous questions...
> Is your card PCI, ISA, etc? There are some ethernet interface devices that
> are connected to the USB port...

PCI, I think...

> (I have zero experience with USB and Linux right now. I only know what I
> have read on the subject.)

I know USB is implemented on the iMac, and can be present in some Windows95
computers.

> If you happen to have any USB devices, you may want to look to using a
> beta (pre-release) 2.4 series kernel. I believe that 2.4 looks to add
> support for a lot of main-stream USB stuff. I would not suggest using this
> kernel as a production server, but as a non-critical desktop machine it
> might be fine. (This does require you to configure and compile a kernel.

The only USB here is in the iMac for keyboard, mouse and printer use.

My PC has serial ports for keyboard, mouse, modem  and parallel port for
printer.

> If you have never compiled anything before, then this task will be more
> time-consuming to master than a DHCP server.) None of the main-stream
> distros (that I know of) presently offer a 2.4 series kernel. (It is that
> new, and still is not in "final" 2.4.0 release.) The distro maintainers
> are waiting like other people, for the bleeding edge users to find the
> bugs and report them. Often (in the past) once the kernels got to
> double-digits, they were stable enough for production use and kernel
> release cycles happened less frequently.

I have never compiled any Linux program before.

> Just some more information, and suggestions for directions in
> troubleshooting.

Really appreciat any and all of your comments.  I am like a blind person walking
in a dark
forrest.  I am running into a lot of trees that jump in front of me.

> More leads are better than no leads eh?

Much.

Thank you.

John