No subject

Sun Feb 20 16:52:19 PST 2005

productivity if they need to get a job done with a minimum of hassle.  It's
often easier to remember command-lines than do a whole series of drag & drop
with folders & pictures.  It's certainly easier to troubleshoot systems from a
command prompt than from a graphic.
Family: my mom and my wife both would rather the software work and get
something done faster, but are tied to the MS environment as it's what they
learned from the start.  What I've taught them in text-mode would fill a book.

Aren't books what we learned from in school?  Did you memorize poetry from
pictures or finely printed text?  Linux will do more from a command line than
DOS or MS Windows, but I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
And yes, I know X is alive and well, that the choice of window managers
abounds, but it is my choice to install them if I wish and I still drop to a
console for work.

Installing is easier than MS.  Uninstalling is easier than MS.
Hardware compatibility problems?  I didn't pay for support to change
configuration on my laptop and won't if I have trouble with the modem...support
is just a group away.  If users want to buy "ready-to-use" systems, they often
care about that term exactly when they buy.  Every MS-ready-to-use machine I've
purchased had more setup AFTER I removed it from the box than the Linux box I
setup by myself.

thanks
Mike Rice