[NBLUG/talk] System Message

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Feb 16 15:51:11 PST 2005

I got to do tape programming on CNC mills. Their really big huge machine
that make things out of metal and other stuff. I took the JC classes and
got to write programs on a brand new MS-DOS 3.3 machine and print them on
a paper tape printer. Then you'd walk them over to the machine load them
up and hope you didn't screw up. We'd put a paper on the machine and chuck
up a pen for testing. Smashed lots of pens. I probablly have some paper
tape arround somewhere, but I never had to do it directly.

I do remember the punched card reader in the hall at SSU though. They even
showed us the 9 toggle switch they used when they got their first computer
but didn't have any input device. Set the first eight and then hit the 9th
to send the byte.

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 02:51:19PM -0800, Troy Arnold wrote:
> } Not that I enjoy being a pedant but its worth saying...  Do you guys
> } realize how much frickin' wasted text you're quoting?  What's the point
> } of quoting 10 other replies just to add your own at the top?
>
> The insidiousness of top posting.
>

> } Walter Hansen <gandalf at sonic.net> wrote:
> } Anyone ever program on a teletype? What an enormus waste of paper.
>
> Yes.  1975.  There was one teletype terminal for the entire school
> district.  It was in the administration building, which was across the
> street from my high school.  It probably ran at 300 baud.  I also had to
> use one the first year of college, but it least it was faster at 1200
> baud.  It was better than cards or tape.
>
> --
>
>    E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us

sniped a little bit off