[NBLUG/talk] Re-Setting up inherited FTP server

Murdock, Matt Matt.Murdock at brooks.com
Tue Jan 4 14:38:09 PST 2005

Once again I get bitten by an inherited system that was not documented.

*We have a RH 7.3 FTP server using wu-ftpd (and current patches). When originally setup, a FTP Super user was created, along with the anonymous ftp user. The /home was on a separate disk from the o.s. that died - dead.
*I can upload and download to the appropriate directory for anonymous.
*When I try to transfer a file to the server as the superuser, I can transfer it to the pub/outgoing directory. Any directory under that (pub/outgoing/junk gets a permission denied on server message when a put is issued.
*There was a /home/ftp/<ftp_superuser> directory before with links in it (we think). I have read faqs till I am blue in the face. I would reload, but, it also acts as our external dhcp server and I want to solve one problem at a time.
* I have even tried a chmod 777 on the pub/outgoing/junk directory with no avail. /etc/ftpaccess was not changed.
Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential and proprietary information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify Brooks Automation, Inc. immediately by reply email or by calling Brooks US Headquarters at +1 978-262-2400. Then delete this message from your system, without making any copy or distribution.  Thank you.