[NBLUG/talk] Trying to explain sudden computer death...

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 19 14:03:30 PDT 2005

I've kitten-proofed one of my computers by eliminating slack on cables,
both by tying up excess cabling and placing as many bundles of cable and
electronics (surge protectors, AC adapters, etc.) into cardboard boxes
as possible.  I shut off the computer before starting on this, just in
case I might have accidentally unplugged it while working.  However,
although I made no changes to the innards of the computer, I can't make
it turn back on!

I was able to use an ammeter to prove that it does draw power when I
plug it in and flip the power switch in the back (sometimes it even
spins up the fans for a fraction of a second).  However, when I press
the power button on the front, nothing happens.

I've already checked the connection between the power switch and the
motherboard, and it seems to be OK.  I'm not sure what do do next.
Could the power switch have been damaged?  Could the motherboard itself
have been damaged?  Any ideas of what to investigate next?

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

We only acknowledge small faults in order to make it appear that we are
free from great ones.
		-- La Rouchefoucauld