[NBLUG/talk] Sendmail

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Mon Jun 20 19:22:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 05:37:40PM -0600, Mark Greeott wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sendmail noob here!! I've got a colo box at sonic that I run some
> websites from. One of the sites (co.dsm.org) has a majordomo mailing
> list attached to it and is working fine. The problem is when the list
> admin logs on to the machine and tries to send mail *from* it. The from
> address appears as "user at sonic-1u.sonic.net" instead of "user at co.dsm.org".
>
> This causes most of his mail to be returned with: "some.isp.com requires
> a valid sender domain" Anyway, I've googled alot and played with
> sendmails Domain Masquerading, Outgoing Addresses(genericstable) and
> Outgoing Domains stuff to no avail. Does anyone have any insight on
> probably the very stupid thing I'm doing wrong?
>
> Sendmail version 8.12.11
> Mandrake 10
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Heya,

Quick & Dirty solution:
find this line in sendmail.cf:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Uncomment it and put your canonical hostname:

Djco.dsm.org

...save, then restart Sendmail.

Hope that helps -- btw, you can use the tools interface to change the
reverse dns for your domain.  https://tools.sonic.net

 -Scott