[NBLUG/talk] Re: Which distro is best for a newbie?

Clay Carley cbc at sonic.net
Thu Jun 23 11:38:49 PDT 2005

Hi Edward,
I don't think SUSE has a free distro anymore.  Debian may be easy to work
with, as the apt-get package manager is pretty well set up in most cases.  I
use Mandrake at work- it's very nice, although the urpmi package manager
needs to be tweaked for internet sources.  There's also Fedora Core, which
stemming from Red Hat isn't a bad distro at all.  I think (I'm not completely
sure at the moment) that you have the choice of yum or up2date for package
management- usually both work out of the box (or off the CD as it were).
Debian takes a long time for major O/S updates.  I think it's been two years
between the "woody" version and the new "sarge" version.  What is really nice
about Debian, though, is that you only need to download a small amount for
the install.  You can do the rest of the install over the internet, which I
find convienent.

I hope this helps more than confuses you more...

Clay Carley