[NBLUG/talk] Radeon Video..

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Mon Jun 27 09:01:10 PDT 2005

Ok folks..  I'm setting up a system at home running Ubuntu Hoary.  I've
got myself a Radeon 9800 Pro (R350) video card in this machine.  I'm
running the 2.6.10-5-686-smp kernel package and have installed the
matching headers and such (but not the full kernel source).

I'm essentially wanted accelerated graphics support, 'cause all the GL
screensavers run slowly.  I downloaded the fglrx packages and changed
the driver in my X configuration to 'fglrx' from 'ati'.  Then I
restarted the X server and rejoiced as my secondary output became live.

I saw something in the ATI documentation that suggest there might be
some kind of conflict with agpgart?  Does anyone know anything about
this and know what steps I should take?  I can probably puzzle this out
myself, but wanted to bounce this off the list before I start mucking
things up.

On a mostly unrelated note, I'd like to say that Ubuntu really kicks
ass. :)  I think it's the farthest Linux has come into making a truly
user-friendly experience.  It still needs some work but it's very basic
and easy-to-use as one would expect from Gnome, but with some excellent
streamlining of system configuration.

- Chris