Enlightenment (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review)

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Thu Mar 24 14:54:50 PST 2005

> As for enlightenment, don't forget that it is lighter, and faster
> than either KDE or Gnome. I've used it exclusively for about 18
> months now on a modern full horsepowered desktop. Once you've
> configured it for your needs, going back to KDE or Gnome feels
> like having to crank start your car for every trip.

So, how long did you spend configuring?  I last *seriously* saw
Enlightenment on a cow orker's desktop... some of the time.  A
*lot* of the time (1-4 hours daily) he was "under the hood" --
compiling, d/l'ing libraries, etc; or, tweaking the GUI settings.

He was *MONTHS* at the project of getting E working on his desktop,
though IIRC that *did* include an OS-upgrade.

Frankly, I'm just not avid enough to go there...  For me, the whole
appeal of *nix is that ol' "always works" schtick, and "always takes
work" is kinda antithetical to that (not so bad as the BSOD & its
"always crashes" paradigm, but that's another rant).

- Steve S.