[NBLUG/talk] Linmodem

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:38:22 PDT 2005

I've been trying (again) to get the modem in my Dell Inspiron 1000 to
work under Debian Sarge. I followed the instructions from
linmodems.org, ran the scanmodem script, and per the instructions
compiled the SL modem driver and installed slmodemd.

The kernel module seems to load just fine, but when I start slmodemd,
I get an error saying that /dev/slamr0 is in use. When I run wvdial,
it goes into a loop trying to find a carrier (at least it no longer
claims to be unable to find the device...). When I run wvdial, I don't
hear any modem sounds.

Speaking of sounds, somehow the sound has gotten cranked up to full
volume. When I try to start Gnome mixer, it tells me that there are no
mixer devices. Argh! Any advice before I go deaf from the various
beeps?

William