[NBLUG/talk] Hello

Art Hampton art.hampton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:44:36 PST 2005

OK. I'm tired of showing up at the nblug meetings and sitting quietly and
enjoying the show. Maybe I can expose myself a bit and get more involved
using this venue. Or maybe this is the wrong place for that and I'll get
whacked. Whatever. Is there a repository somewhere of previous posts to this
list so that a I can review what has been hashed over previously and not
repeat all that?

Just let me remark that I have a dual P3 machine which a friend and I put
together a few years ago for editing video. It had to be fast and have fast
scsi drives in order to do that job. It has 256 Meg of ram. It was a killer
machine in its day. I have of course upgraded to a P4 and WXP to run
Premiere and Photoshop. But I don't want to surf the web with Microsoft's
crappy unsecure OS, so I use Linux on the P3. I've been running Ubuntu,
which seemed like a reasonable release (Hoary). About a week or so ago I
went to update my system and wound up with Breezy. Breezy almost killed my
system. What was a reasonably brisk machine now is a slow slug. C'mon!! What
the F is going on here? All I do is a little typing, a spreadsheet now and
then and surf a bit. What is the advantage of the new and bloated OS? When
Unix was invented did they have machines with 256 megabytes of ram? I don't
think so...

My Commodore 64 almost worked better. So I'm exploring Morphix which I
learned about from Kyle Rankin's lovely book, Knoppix Hacks. I'm looking for
a simple system which will let me type and see what I'm typing. At times
using Badger I'm looking at a dead screen while I type into the buffer,
trying to not make any mistakes. Got to be a better way. End of rant.

Question - is there a place to check on what hardware works best with Linux?
I'd like to get a dvd burner which is fast and dependable with Linux. It
seems to me that if a hardware manufacturer or VAR provided great open
source drivers for their equipment they would have a usable niche that the
competition is avoiding. This has no doubt already been discussed to death.

Art