[NBLUG/talk] Searching for near-identical photos?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 06:12:17 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 07:36 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Well, hard or not, KDE gives me an option when I right-click an image:
> "Search for Similar Images..."

That KDE feature uses the aforementioned GNUift as its backend (GNUift uses a
client/server framework).  I've seen it before, but I've never been able to
make it work.

> > This is the same kinda thing as teaching a computer to catch a baseball,
> > or catching it yourself.
>
> Well, it _is_ the 21st century.  My computer can talk, check my spelling
> and grammar, connect me to thousands of people all over the world, etc.
> etc. :^)

Then again, look at the computational power IBM had to bring to bear in order
to defeat Gary Kasparov at a Chess tournament.  Or the physics involved in
such seemingly-simple things as walking on two feet or typing on a keyboard.

As Aaron suggested, 50 years of computer science isn't enough to make it
possible for a computer do these tasks that seem to simple to us, let alone
some of the amazing things described in the science fiction of 50 years ago
(although I think that Arthur C. Clarke managed to nail Windows XP on the
head in _2001: A Space Odyssey_; is it just me or is the malfunctioning "Hal"
reminiscent of the BSOD?).

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>