[NBLUG/talk] Duplicating a server

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Mon Nov 21 07:15:24 PST 2005

Sameer -

Yes!  It worked very nicely; at least as far as I can tell.  If I have
time today, I'll switch my router over to the 'standby server" and make
sure that it works.  What I found interesting is that the
owner/group/permissions seem intact.  Of course, I had manually
recreated the users on the "standby server".

Now some frosting on the cake would be a way to synchronize the
Users/Groups!  Can this be done?

Also, I am asked for a password for the destination which would be a
problem for a crontab.  This was true with

  rsync  -a -e ssh /home/ 192.168.0.22:/home/

and

  rsync  -a  /home/ 192.168.0.22:/home/

Is there a way to eliminate the password?  Maybe I missed it in the Man
pages.

Todd

P.S. Probably I am going to have to break out my old Perl book and write
some scripts to backup my Interbaase and MySQL databases...been a long time.

--
Ariste Software
2200 D Street Ext