[NBLUG/talk] {FC1,RH9} -> FC4 = woot...

Scott Doty scott at corp.sonic.net
Wed Nov 30 22:03:06 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:43:21PM -0800, Augie Schwer wrote:
> Slackware? Is that still even maintained? You might be better served
> by something more geared toward Desktop/Beginning users; I like
> Mandriva.

And after my upgrade experiences with RH/FC -- I'm a Fedora Core fan...

I upgraded my work workstation to FC4 from FC1 via ftp -- worked great.

Then I upgraded my home workstation to FC4 from RH9 via ftp -- worked great.

Alas, I couldn't take my (FC1) server down, so I installed yum, then did a
"yum upgrade" to FC4.  Only problem was, somehow, /dev got emptied --
fortunately, I was still logged in, and could run MAKEDEV.

I use AfterStep on my workstations, but I used the default Gnome environment
on my lappy -- that is from LinuxCertified, came installed with FC3.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :)

 -Scott