[NBLUG/talk] personal server upgrade... strategy?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Oct 10 19:38:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 05:25:46PM -0700, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> My desktop *had* Sarge installed on it, but started pulling in packages from
> Etch--so it must have been set to "unstable" instead of "Sarge" (I'd have to

Actually, you probably had it on "testing".

Debian has 3 or 4 versions at one time.
unstable: always "sid" -- packages they'll break left and right
testing: the next "stable", eventually -- usually doesn't break too badly
stable: what the Debian team means for you to run
oldstable: short-lived -- the old "stable", right after a new one comes out

Currently:
sarge=stable
etch=testing
sid=unstable (always)

--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator