[NBLUG/talk] The Debian Way

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Oct 28 18:24:00 PDT 2005

I'm not sure, you could have me. It was probably about 1982 and i was
programming in pascal on the CYBER-40 (water cooled) at Sonoma State
University. You would enter a command to list a range of lines or a single
line. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to edit a line you had to retype that
line.

Later on I ended up doing a bunch of stuff on the PDP-11. I think you can
buy a PDP-11 on ebay for about $100 now. There was an cool old System
Administrator there who gave me and my friends a tour. He showed us his
screen would do all sorts of ASCII cartoons like Andy Capp.

He had a line printer that was about 8'x8'x5'. It had this large barrel
and each segment had all characters around it. The segments turned
independently. So for each line of printing the segments would rotate to
the proper character and then the whole barrel would strike the paper. A
little like a daisy wheel on steroids. It would spew forth printouts at a
speed I've yet to see matched. Users from all over campus would print on
it and he'd leave the jobs in little slots in the wall for them.

His disk drives looked like washing machines. There were large cartridges
which held ten or twenty platters of disks and you would put them into the
drive and lock them in place.

My friends played too much eliza. I found an Apple ][ down the hall and
monopolized that.

Somewhere I still have printouts from that line printer and probably some
notes on useful commands. I assume it must have been a flavor of unix, but
I really don't know.