[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X-10 home automation

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Sep 19 11:59:16 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 11:34:51AM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
> I'd love to set that up on ours, the dsl off/on? How much (ballpark) did
> it run to do that?

Six or more years ago, X-10 had this promotional deal they advertised on
slashdot where you could get a starter kit for the cost of shipping ($4.95
if I remember correctly) that included a transceiver to control everything,
a remote control, the "firecracker" serial port, and a lamp module. I lost
my transceiver so I recently picked up a replacement at Fry's. The cheapest
model came with a tiny remote control and cost $25. Then you'd need to add
a grounded appliance module, which will probably run another $15. The third
piece, the firecracker serial port module, I'm not really sure how much
those run nowadays, but I vaguely remember thinking they were pretty pricey
the last time I checked.

I'll have to try out that aluminum foil idea if I continue getting
problems.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President