[NBLUG/talk] How Low Can We Go?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Apr 19 08:09:56 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:00:43AM -0700, Stephen Cilley wrote:
> Sorry, yes, 3.5, my mind kept going to 5 1/4 and then
> me telling my mind it was wrong.
> The only piece of networking hardware it has on it is
> a dialup modem, so this should be fun.
> I don't even know what a null modem is.  There are
> three ports on the back, a serial, a parallel, and
> then one thing I have never seen before in my life
> which has two rows of seperated pins, it's very odd
> looking.
> Anyway, I think I'm going to have to use some floppy
> based install, because the rest seems a little over my
> head.
>
> Thank You,
> Stephen

Probably the simplest thing to do is to get the set of base Debian boot
floppies for a net install and see if you can borrow some sort of PCMCIA
nic. You should be able to get at least a 10bT PCMCIA NIC from HSC for
really cheap. Then you boot off the floppies and get it going far enough to
set install Debian over the network.

Alternatively you could use the suggestion made earlier in the thread about
removing the laptop drive and installing on it from another machine, but
that shouldn't be necessary once you get this machine on the network.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org