[NBLUG/talk] [OT?] Static DHCP leases from a LinkSys router?

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Fri Apr 21 12:44:20 PDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:43:22PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Anyone know if I can configure a LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL router
> (model number BEFSR51) to always assign the same IP address to certain
> computers, e.g. based on their MAC addresses?  I ask because I'd like to
> set up a few servers (most of them headless) on my LAN, and it would be
> rather difficult to access them if their IP addresses change every time
> they start up!
>
> This is not a WRT54G router, so I probably can't run Linux on it.

here's my two cents...

i used to have a netgear router that rocked.  it let me assign static
addresses via dhcp.  then it fried (probably due to a power surge of some
sort).  i bought a linksys router (non-linux running) to replace it because
i didn't want to spend 100+ on another netgear.  the POS didn't support
static dhcp assignments.

i later replaced that with my current wrt54g.  it too, does not do static
dhcp assigments, but it DOES allow me to put a new distro onto it where i
have that flexability.  it seems linksys deems static dhcp assigment and
advanced feature or something like that.  silly people.

-dustin