[NBLUG/talk] Universities

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Apr 24 16:15:25 PDT 2006

William Tracy wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm sorry that this is a bit off-topic. :-)
>
>I'm a computer science major currently at the JC, planning to transfer
>next fall. I'm considering Cal Poly SLO, and UC Davis; both have
>accepted my applications.
>
>Davis and Cal Poly both have computer science programs, but Cal Poly
>also has a software engineering program, which looks like it is more
>geared toward someone wanting to get a job in programming. On the
>other hand, it looks like getting a degree there will take at least a
>year longer that at Davis.
>
>Eventually, I want to get a job computer programming. I was wondering
>if anyone here could offer any thoughts from the perspective of
>someone in the software industry. If there's any graduates from these
>schools here who can comment, that would be great, too.
>
>The impression I get is that the degree you get only really matters
>for the first job or two; after that, it's all about where you worked
>before. Does this mean that it really doesn't matter where I go? Could
>anyone offer any thoughts on whether a software engineering degree is
>really going to be more helpful than a computer science degree?
>
>Thanks a lot!
>William Tracy

I'm a SRJC Computer science major, and I'm planning on transfering to
UCDavis within the next 2 years... (Mainly because of the transfer
agreement, the Security lab and matt bishop (at computer science teacher
there). UCDavis is one of the last school's that still teaches C, and
isn't obsessed with OOP and windows .NET shit. As much as some people
might think, C is not dead... and its an excellent languge. But you have
to be careful, you really have to know what your doing, and practice
secure programming. This takes time, practice and knowledge....

As you may know this already, but even though you said davis may take a
year longer, I'm 21 now and I won't finish at davis until I'm probably
24 or something. The fact is, I don't have a problem with that much at
all... you have tons of time (if your not busy working a lot) to go and
get experiance they won't teach you in school. Or, if you plan on
getting a job in programming, code, code and code some more. Then help
on some open soure projects, or start your own. Then code some more, and
..... well you get the idea.
If you don't like to write code outside of school, or have ideas for
programs to write or the like... I recommend not pursuing programming.

>From what stephen has told me about cal poly's programming classes...
they seem excellent as well. If your going into programming, then i'd
travel down there and talk to some of the Soft. Eng. guys in the
program... then goto davis and do the same.

hope this helps,
  -Aaron