[NBLUG/talk] restoring from a tar file

C. Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 12:52:24 PDT 2006

Robert Hayes wrote:
> OK. I blew it.
>
> Long and the short of it is I have a tar file of 7 GB on a backup drive.
>
> I need *1* file from that tar.
>
> I only have 5 GB free on my / filesystem.
>
> The tar won't open, and isn't visible through any gui interface. Is this
> because I don't have sufficient memory on my / partition?

If you can mount the backup drive, it shouldn't matter how much room you
have on your / partition.

Do you have permission to see the tar? I use mc from a command line to
view tar files, then it's easy enough to copy one file out of it to
anywhere.

Mike

--
Any man that does not give to everybody else the rights he claims for himself, is not an honest man.  -Robert G. Ingersoll