[NBLUG/talk] Info to Monitor

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Sat Aug 5 01:38:12 PDT 2006

On Fri, August 4, 2006 16:42, Walter Hansen wrote:

> I'm not sure if I should be annoyed by this or not. I've seen it on severl
> Linux distrubtions.
>
> For some reason varrious messages are put up on the physical screen
> (tty1?). These usually have something to do with mouting drives or
> other large changes. So when I go to log into a server from the
> console there's a bunch of old messages with a login prompt below.

They are specifically *intended* to be there, albeit they are also (in
many regards) a bit obsolete...

The idea is, a certain category of message -- ideally, very important ones
about problems that could affect operations -- will roll across the
console, whether you're logged in or not.

The idea is, just _walking_past_ a server with such message(s) prompts the
conscientious SysAdmin to investigate/fix the problem.

The idea is, a well-configured system won't *have* (m)any "important
problems that could affect operations" except in the event of h/w failure
and other anomalies.

These days, of course, with "headless" servers and ssh - based access to
remote hosts... well, "console messages" are often not terribly relevant.

But, the idea is... they're supposed to help.

Hope that *I* have helped...  ;-)

- Steve S.