[NBLUG/talk] Weird GNOME error after upgrading KDE

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 5 16:01:57 PDT 2006

I'm running Debian/testing.  I was having problems with Kontact crashing, and
upon further investigation, I determined that the version of Kontact in the
testing branch was a beta version.  I then found that the version in the
unstable branch was not a beta, so I decided to upgrade all of my KDE
packages to unstable.  I did not dist-upgrade (since I remember completely
destroying my system by upgrading from the unstable branch on at least one
occasion); only KDE packages and those that they depend on were upgraded.

KDE seems to be running just fine, and Kontact is no longer crashing.
However, I seem to have somehow wrecked the GTK/GNOME installation in the
process.  I can't be sure what's going on, but I have observed two symptoms:

1. The GNOME startup scripts hang if I try to log in using GNOME (which I
haven't had reason to do for years)

2. if I run a GTK+ or GNOME application from within KDE, several words seem to
be missing from every widget until I move the mouse over them.  In most
cases, only the first word of each line shows up (e.g. in Synaptic, the
description of the kontact package should read "KDE pim application", but
instead reads "KDE"), although this doesn't always seem to be the case (e.g.
in Synaptic's "Package" menu, the "Mark for installation" command appears
as "Mark     installation").

I'm completely stumped, as I've never seen an error like this before, and I
can't see anything I changed that might have led to the error.  Anyone have
any ideas, or at least ideas of where else to look?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.