[NBLUG/talk] apt-get issues

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 7 17:55:06 PDT 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 17:34, Robert Hayes wrote:
> >>What distribution and version are you using?
>
> Knoppix 2.4.20 xfs

I seem to remember that Knoppix was built on the assumption that it would be
in a fairly static environment (i.e. a CD or DVD, possibly with home
directories on a separate writable medium).  You can install and run it off a
hard disk, but considering how many sources it draws packages from, you can
expect upgrades to be a mess.

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file look like?

> >> What does "apt-get upgrade" do?
>
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1174 not upgraded.

Sounds like your installation is not broken in any obvious way, but there must
be something in the "kde" package that conflicts with something else, with
the end result that apt-get would need to remove e2fsprogs and sysvinit in
order to satisfy the dependencies.  I'd say that something is seriously wrong
with one of your sources, and it was a very good thing that apt-get was able
to warn you before removing either of those packages.

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

If you can't be good, be careful.  If you can't be careful, give me a call.