[NBLUG/talk] xserver* vs. xserver-xorg-*

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Aug 9 16:30:56 PDT 2006

Robert Hayes wrote:

>OK, I'm going to go ahead with the dist-upgrade as it isn't returning any
>errors, and nobody jumped up and yelled "Stop, fool!".
>
>The one thing I am a little concerned about is that all of the xserver*
>packages are going to be removed, and an entirely new suite of xserver-xorg*
>packages are going to be installed.
>
>I remember someone having some difficulty with that a while back.
>
>Any thoughts before the leap?
>
>TIA everybody.

Robert:  You might be recalling a problem I ran into a while back.
(nblug talk list archive:
http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2005-September/009406.html)
<http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2005-September/009406.html>

Essentially, I had been running FC4 for a short period when a particular
'yum update' gave me a bad xorg package.  I simply waited a bit and held
xorg out of my list of things to update, and a few weeks later I updated
it and everything was fine.  It was a particular rpm that was somehow
packaged with a bug - the subsequent rpm fixed the error.  I've been
using yum (and apt before that) for  a while, and that was the only time
I experienced a problem like that.

If that's what you're thinking of, it shouldn't apply to your situation
- unless you also try to update with a buggy package.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net