[NBLUG/talk] xserver* vs. xserver-xorg-*

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Aug 9 16:33:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:39:01PM -0700, Robert Hayes wrote:
> OK, I'm going to go ahead with the dist-upgrade as it isn't returning any
> errors, and nobody jumped up and yelled "Stop, fool!".
>
> The one thing I am a little concerned about is that all of the xserver*
> packages are going to be removed, and an entirely new suite of xserver-xorg*
> packages are going to be installed.
>
> I remember someone having some difficulty with that a while back.
>
> Any thoughts before the leap?

Since it appears from your APT::Default-Release that you're effectively
downgrading a bunch of packages from Experimental or Unstable to testing,
you can expect to need to do some manual interventions and run dist-upgrade
multiple times to get things sorted out.  As long as you don't hose
dpkg/apt in the process you should be fine.

Basically don't sweat it if apt-get wants to remove a bunch of stuff, or
can't install something.  Take your time and don't expect the 'upgrade' to
happen in one step and you'll be fine.  Be wary, though, of any warnings
regarding apt or dpkg being uninstallable or removed.

The xfree86 -> xorg transistion is usually pretty smooth now -- thanks to
us early adopters who suffered through the pain ;-)

Nothing the list or IRC can't straighten out for you...probably.

-troy