[NBLUG/talk] Anyone use Skype?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Aug 11 16:09:17 PDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 03:19:57PM -0700, Robert Hayes wrote:
> It's great. And if you work via phone a lot, you can work from anywhere.
>
> They have some really super features, too. Beyond the standard high end office
> pbx features, like intelligent answer (different outgoing messages for no
> answer, busy, time of day, etc.),  call filters (let the following numbers
> through [or forward them to the following numbers] only at the following
> days/times),  and my favorite: simultaneous ring: when a call comes in, ring
> the main number, and a second programmable number (e.g.: your cell)
> simultaneously. Whoever picks up first gets the call.

So, the VOIP provider provides the PBX functionality, right?  I'm looking
for a solution here for a small office of about 10-15 phones, but I'm not
really sure where to start. There are currently 4 incoming lines, running
off of 10 crappy old phones.  I've skimmed the Asterisk manual, but as much
fun as it sounds, I'm not sure that we want to get into running our own
PBX hardware.

Since it sounds like there are some people here with this skillset, would
ya' mind pointing me to some places where I could start figuring this stuff
out?

thanks for any advice-

-troy