[NBLUG/talk] Gentoo

Tim C. Lewis tclewis at oreilly.com
Fri Aug 18 14:11:38 PDT 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, William Tracy wrote:
>> >  I'm compiling gentoo for the first time and now I have a question:
>> >  On this laptop (Inspiron 6000) I followed a good-looking script for
>> >  kernel.config, with only a few items taking space in the kernel itself.
>> >  That left me with 290 modules. ouch. The install instructions tell me to
>> >  copy the modules I found into /etc/modules.autoload.d/(KERNEL_NAME).
>
> Well, AFAIK having extra modules around doesn't cause any harm other
> than taking up a little extra disc space, since they aren't loaded if
> they're not needed.
>
> BTW, what is this script that you're using?

gentoo's bootup sequence actually loads pretty much every sata module it
can find, and perhaps some others, just to be annoying i suppose.  so
having those around can cause a bit extra memory to be used as well if you
don't unload them.  but again, not a huge deal.

you probably don't really need anything in
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.  i typically put my ethernet driver in
there and that's it.  once in a great while something might come up that i
definitely want loaded on boots that isn't handled automatically, but it's
quite rare.

-tcl.