[NBLUG/talk] Enabling SSL in Apache2?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 20 16:33:40 PDT 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 15:38, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 03:24:24PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Here's something that should be a simple problem, but apparently isn't:
> >
> > I'm running Apache2 on Debian/testing.  I want to enable SSL globally for
> > my website (i.e. anything you can do via HTTP, you can do via HTTPS).  I
> > would expect this to be a simple matter of creating symlinks
> > to /etc/apache2/mods-available/{ssl.load,ssl.conf}
> > in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled, but that didn't seem to work (I get
> > a "connection refused" error when connecting via SSL).  And as usual, the
> > official Apache documentation on the matter is incredibly terse.
> >
> > So what am I missing?
>
> Do you have a Listen 443 in /etc/apache2/ports.conf ?

I didn't, but now that I fixed that, instead of "connection refused", I get no
response at all (i.e. the browser times out after no response whatsoever from
the server).

So maybe I was missing two or more things?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

There is one difference between a tax collector and a taxidermist --
the taxidermist leaves the hide.
		-- Mortimer Caplan