[NBLUG/talk] [OT] Lawrence Lessig's speech at LinuxWorld

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Mon Aug 21 00:56:07 PDT 2006

Thanks for the link, Gene..  I never seen Lawrence Lessig speak, but the
transcription make quite a few compelling points.

::steps up onto soap box::

The last paragraph is very critical that we all read and understand.  If
we, in this beautiful open source community, *don't* stand up and show
support for the leaders and advocates of our community that are fighting
tooth and nail for our beliefs and ideals, these leaders and advocates
will tire of the fight and give up.

Many of us are struggling to make ends meet every month (me too), but even
giving up $10 a month to the EFF can make a difference.  What is that, one
or two more bag lunchs a month instead of going to the sandwich shop?
Convince your friends and co-workers in the OSS community to donate as
well and the more people, the more power we will develop as a community.
It doesn't have to be the EFF, you can pick a open source project that you
like and donate to it!

If you really can't spare the money (job got out-sourced to India?), find
another way to contribute!

1. Volunteer for the EFF or other advocacy orgs, I'm sure they will find
something for you to do, even if it's something terribly dull, it's worth
it. :)

2. Contribute code, it's a great way to help support our community, find a
project that you believe in and join the team!

3. Help document existing projects, make open source projects more user
friendly by giving easy to read HOWTOs and guides.

Whatever you do, though, don't stop supporting our community, give back,
continue the cycle and encourage creativity and innovation.

::steps off the soap box::

- Chris