[NBLUG/talk] Re: CDROM problem [still need help in Cotati!]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Aug 22 22:32:35 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:30:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Hi there!  My dad is running Debian Linux on his machine at home, and
> just received a CDROM full of MP3s which he's trying to listen to.
>
> Unfortunately, when he inserts the disc and double-clicks the CDROM device
> icon (under KDE), he gets an error mounting: "No media found," or some-such.

Actually, the error is a bit more complicated, from KDE.  It suggests
that maybe /dev/cdrom needs to be IDE-SCSI instead of IDE...?  Nothing
has changed, hardware-wise, since the last time I visited.

As I said before, I think someone helped him recently (maybe me,
depending on how long the issue was happening -- my dad wasn't using his
computer much for a few months :^) ) and that may have been what caused
the issue with me needing to change the printer from /dev/lpr to
something usb-related.

I had him try a regular "mount /cdrom" and it just said "No media found."
Additionally, running "eject" from the K->Run Command... did nothing
(not even blink the lights), which MAY be a symptom of a dying
(or disconnected!) drive.

Being 100 miles away, I can't help immediately.  I'm still hoping someone
from NBLUG has a few minutes to go give him a hand.  He said he can throw
some coins at whoever helps. :)

-bill!