[NBLUG/talk] Testing for the presence of a disk

Nat W. calvin166 at pseudoweb.net
Wed Aug 30 10:57:35 PDT 2006

Just to add that, once you have hotplug and autofs set up life with usb
becomes extremely easy. I have a small laptop the I have used at least ten
different types of cameras (some of which are very obscure) and they all
worked like a charm.

/Nat

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 09:14:13AM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I'm trying to rig an old Pentium I system to work as a photo kiosk,
> so that I can insert a memory card from any digital camera and
> quickly copy the contents of the card to the hard disk.
> Consequently, I need a shell script to be able to determine when a
> disk has been inserted into a drive, and when it has been removed--
> all without any prior knowledge of the nature of the disk (since not
> all cameras use flash memory).

[snip]
> Lincoln Peters
> <petersl at sonoma.edu>
>
> It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters.
>                 -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I've set up something similar for my usb-storage-capable cameras but the
same method should work for just about any usb-storage device or other
device that works with hotplug. If your system uses hotplug, check out the
following two pages where I document some of the procedure:

http://greenfly.org/tips/usb_drive.html

http://greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html

--
Kyle Rankin